Thursday, August 11, 2011

Broken hearts and teenagers

My daughter's heart is broken again......

I wonder why she doesn't listen to my words of wisdom, telling her to just work on herself and don't date anyone for awhile. Learn more about yourself and what you like, what you don't like. Don't let any man define you.

And yet her focus is on love again. Why does this happen to her every time she asks me..... Why indeed. Maybe it's the pattern of guy she falls for and doesn't even know it? Nothing I say, she wants to hear. And no words of wisdom are falling on her ears.

I know myself at that age, I didn't want to listen to my mom or my friends. My focus as always getting people to like me and looking for love. Maybe we all are like that at times.

It's hard to watch your child do it again and again. It's hard to see the broken heart over and over and remembering myself to those times. Wishing she would rise above it all and decide she is more important than all of that. Build her confidence. Her self esteem.

Someday she'll figure it out. And I pray she will be better for all that she's gone through. Just in the mean time, it's hard to watch the drama.

I wonder if my boys will be similar? Or will they be like these boys she is dating...... I hope I can instill some wisdom in them and they'll listen.

We'll see.....

1 comment:

  1. Oh I wouldn't listen to my parents at that age either! Who does? It must be hard to see her go through this. I don't have a child but I can only imagine. Even with my sister. I try and give her advice and does she ever take it? Nope. You'd think she'd take my advice - I'm only three years older than her and have *recently* been through this stuff. But no she won't!

    Silly :P

    ReplyDelete